Sunday 17 January 2016

Another Good Weekend - Part 2 : Friends and Food and Fun Stuff

After spending last Saturday at the Barbican, (and having a longer-than-usual journey back, as the train I caught home was allowed to leave Paddington despite being faulty, and only limped as far as Reading, where we all had to wait on a cold platform and then catch another, later train to complete the journey) I was a little knackered, but not too much to enjoy seeing my friend A, who came to send the day and to take me out to see Henry Rollins in Bristol on Sunday evening.

We spent most of the day and evening talking and catching up, some of that time spent at the Pony and Trap in Chew Magna, which is a a gastro-pub with a Michelin star, and which provided us with a  delicious 3-course meal.(consisting, for me, of mussels,followed by a glorious piece of beef, and finally a 'Sticky Ale Pudding with salted caramel sauce and Stout Ice Cream'  which was a deliciously grown-up version of parkin, and just the thing for a damp and chilly Sunday afternoon.

Then in the evening we headed into Bristol, to see Henry Rollins at St George's. 

A had booked the tickets, and invited me to come, ages ago, and I have to admit that I hadn't previously heard of Henry Rollins, and had very little idea what to expect.



In the event, I had a really good time, really enjoyed Rollins' performance (and I was very impressed that he spoke for about 2 and a half hours without so much as a glass of water!

He covered topics as wide ranging as conservation and penguin shit, (he has recently returned from a trip to Antarctica), the late Lemmy (of Motörhead) who was a friend of his, politics, music and finding other people who share your particular brand of weirdness.

He's very, very good.

All in all, a very enjoyable day!

No comments: